Day 4: Engineering Students take on an Investment firm

We started out our day the same as the past few: breakfast, a lesson on Vietnamese culture, and language class. We learned about demographics, geography, a brief history, cultural areas, and traditional clothing. Since we took a class about Vietnamese history prior to leaving the U.S., the most interesting part of the lecture was the traditional clothing. The Ao dai is the traditional outfit for women and is beyond gorgeous. Thanks to UEF, all Pitt students are receiving traditional clothes and I’m super excited to see how they look. During our language class, I had the normal struggle of pronunciation and remembering vocabulary words but at the end, our instructor informed us of how well she thought all of us were doing and how fast we are picking up on things. Knowing this gives me a reason to continue to struggle through the class with maximum effort.

After class, we went to Cocochin Food Court for lunch. We got to talk around and choose which ever food we wanted from the signs and the waiters would bring it to our table. I ordered a spring roll meal and fried rice. I don’t know if I was just hungry or if the food was just that good. Either way, this was probably the best lunch I have had so far. Hopefully, we’ll have more lunches like this in the next 10 days.

Each group in Plus3 Vietnam was assigned a company to research and give a presentation about. VinaCapital was the site we visited today and my assigned company. As an engineering student, I had almost no clue what an investment company did before I had to research it; even then I did not feel like I was comfortable giving a presentation about such a successful and influential company. VinaCapital helps foreign investors find the best possible Vietnamese companies to invest in by knowing the ins and outs of the Vietnamese economy, networks, and emerging opportunities in the country. Aside from the investment firm, there is also a VinaCapital Foundation that works to improve lives by promoting growth opportunities through health and educational programs. For the foundation to have the resources necessary to run their projects, such as Heartbeat Vietnam and Outreach Clinics, they need financial assistance. VinaCapital provides 40% of the funding the foundation receives and the other 60% comes from fundraising, NGOs, and generous individuals. By receiving all the funding from many sources, they are able to help children get healthcare they need and help them get an education when it may be more difficult to do so. The VinaCapital Foundation is working towards a better future for Vietnam and their approach is to help the children of today so they can be healthier and more educated for tomorrow.

Below are more views from the VinaCapital office.

Leave a Reply