Day 8 – Cruise of Views

Today I woke up at 4 am. We had to be downstairs by 6 am so thank goodness I had woken up earlier. I packed my things, showered, changed, and gathered my things to head downstairs. We waited for the breakfast to open up and all had breakfast together, us being the only ones there. After eating another fine meal, we got onto the bus to go to the train station. Upon arriving, we went through security and sat down by our gate. We had some free time so a few of us attempted to find a Starbucks. Unfortunately, there was no Starbucks so I got some McDonald’s chicken nuggets and skittles for lunch later on the train (healthy, I know). We got on the train and I was lucky enough to have a window seat. For the first hour I slept. Then I watched a few episodes of “The Office.” By that point it was lunch time so I had some of the chicken nuggets. I then listened to some music while I slept. I woke up with another two hours so I ate some skittles and passed the time with more episodes of “The Office.” Finally, we arrived in Shanghai. The weather was much cooler than Xi’an being in the 70’s. We met with our tour guides named Orange and Julie. We made it to our hotel and had 30 minutes to get ready for our two events: the Shanghai history museum and cruise tour. The history museum felt very much like a Disney museum, having many figurines and settings. Towards the middle of the museum, Candice and I saw they were taking pictures in traditional Chinese wear for only 30 RMB so we decided to go for it. We put on dresses and had our pictures taken. We realized after getting our picture taken, we had five minutes to meet at the exit with the rest of our group so we ran to the end. We almost got lost but we made it right on time. We exited the museum and took a group picture. Then we went to dinner. The dinner was by far the best meal I have had. I tried frog and pig feet, both not being so good. Other than those two dishes, I loved everything. Now it was time for the cruise tour. We were all waiting in line when another tour group tried cutting us. We formed a wall to prevent them from cutting but they then pushed us out of the way. Safe to say we were angry but we finally made it onto the cruise. It was pretty chilly and breezy but the view was amazing. We saw the Bund and it was a sight to see. We asked a woman to take our picture and although she didn’t speak english but she took a few. She then offered again later into the ride which was so sweet. We encountered some more people who were very pushy but the amazing view was worth it. After the cruise, we came back to the hotel and slept after our long day.

Leave a Reply