Healthcare in Tigre

Today we visited the Tigre Municipality and two of its public health facilities. It has an interconnected primary care system with an online health record that connects 23 health centers and various hospitals. Tigre has been able to create a successful primary care system and create high-functioning hospitals because it is a generally wealthy municipality. In comparison to all the other provinces, the autonomous district of Buenos Aires has significantly more money and resources. In addition, the people of Tigre also have money to allocate towards education, healthcare and various other aspects of society that contribute to its development; these funds and resources allowed for the creation of the public primary care center, funded by the municipality. The facility that we visited covers healthcare for 80% of the population in Tigre. One of the major benefits of creating a such a beneficial health resource for the community as it focuses on preventative health care and saving money by sparing hospital visits that do not actually require hospital services. By increasing the accessibility of healthcare for the people in a community where transportation is not as easily available, the community is able to increase the likelihood that people reach out for help and get the care they need for medical issues that may not be as severe as typically expected “emergency” cases. The Tigre municipality has enough resources that it takes care of 98% of the medical care funding, whereas the nation funds the other 2%. The funding takes care of faculty salaries, electricity, transportation, boat tickets for workers, equipment and various other things that help the facility run as smoothly as it does. While Tigre and many municipalities in wealthier provinces more have the resources to fund easily accessible and well-functioning health centers, the ones without money or a lot of resources are unfortunately left in a helpless situation with many sick and dying people. Theoretically the nation should be providing more and filling the gaps where the municipalities lack resources, but this isn’t always the case. Ultimately, it was very interesting to see how a very successful primary care centers and the fact that they even have boat facilities was very cool to me.

Leave a Reply