Day 11: one last prayer before loading

Today, we started our day at Basiliko Port and we talked to VTTV and Basiliko Cement Company. I learned about the process of making cement from beginning to end. First, they started by brining in limestone and other rocks from their quarry. Then, they put it through the first grinder to cut up the big rocks into smaller manageable sections. Then, they filter that and put it to their kiln after which it purifies and molds it into the first stage product, clinker. The kiln heats up to 1500 degrees farenheight. As a trend towards more renewable energy and lowering carbon emissions, the company imports RDF to use and uses cut up tires as fuel instead of fossil fuels. After that, they can either export the clinker or use it to create cement. To make the cement, they put the clinker through another grinder that refines it further and mixes in the other parts of cement. I learned that concrete is only 13% Cement and that it is the second most consumed substance in the world after water. I liked the tour of the cement factory control room because there was a direct view of the processes and you could see the people monitoring it. There was entire system diagram on the screens with sensors and indicators measuring things for the different components of the system. I loved how there was a long belt that reached the port to load the cement directly onto the ships.

The presentation with VTTV was just as cool to see. They had 28 huge tankers that hold oil and gas. Although they are not extracting the oil themselves, they are a downstream service that can store and blend oil and gas for various companies. I thought it was interesting when she talked about how they do not own any part of the oil molecules just have the rights to store and hold it. They had a large port into the water with 4 loading stations and pipes that reached 2,000 meters to directly pump the oil from the tankers into the loading bays of the ship. During the on site tour, we were standing next to a little church. The operator told us that it is there so they can pray everything will go well before they start. I found that to be a little superstitious but very mediterranean of them. I also learned that it took over 30 hours to load a big vessel to max capacity and even for the smaller vessels it still took 12 hours. That was a long time for the gas and oil to be loaded.

After these visits, we went to the beach in Larnaca and got to spend some free time there. I swam out to the bouy and although it was slightly far, the water was very warm and refreshing. After that we played Jackpot, which I had never played before but I learned I was very bad at it. I was sad to leave as always but when we got back to the hotel, we played trivia and I won these beautiful golden Cyprus playing cards.


Leave a Reply